Monday, May 16, 2016

Self Love (interview with Sydnee)

Okay Friends, today is a new week so we have a new something or someone here on the blog for ya! Seriously when I re-read this I got teary eyed. Sydnee is AMAZING and is so motivational. I love love love some (or all) that she talks about! Her view on loving yourself and not comparing others because it is a thief of joy is so TRUE!  I hope you all enjoy this as much as I did!! 

SYDNEE

@SYDNEE_ANDERSON
Seriously so beautiful inside and out!
(Utah living, wife, adventurer and explorer.)




1. What is self esteem to you and how does if affect the person you are?

Self esteem to me is how I truly feel about myself on the inside and outside. It reflects my self confidence.

2. What are five words that you would choose to describe yourself?
Dependable. Caring. Optimistic. Cheerful. Brave.

3. Do you ever get down or are too hard on yourself sometimes?

Sometimes I for sure do. I’m not sure what it is but sometimes I feel like I need to just be better. When I see photos of girls looking “perfect” (a word that is misused) I start to compare myself to them and I then realize that I am being way too hard on myself. I have really tried to make an effort to stop using the word “perfect” because no one is truly perfect. I sometimes get jealous when I see people I know going on fun vacations, wearing the cutest clothes, having a specific body type…the list could go on. I get so down and I realize that I am being way too hard on myself.




4. Are there specific things that trigger those negative vibes and feelings?

Definitely. I think that social media as a whole contributes to those negative vibes, especially Instagram. I think that we have to remember that some people may only posting their “highlights” in their life. When we look at someone’s life through social media, of course we are going to think that “their life is perfect” or “they are so put together” if they are only posting those things. We need to remember that we are all imperfect human beings. We all have flaws and have experienced different trials. It’s hard because I want to contribute to the positive side of social media, but I also want people to know that I am flawed and have had many trials. I struggle with knowing whether or not I should post about specific things. I don’t want it to seem like I am a Debbie downer who tries to make people feel bad for me!

5. How do you help yourself get out of that “negative funk?”

Sometimes I just have to disconnect. Although there is a mixture of positivity and negativity on social media, staying off social media sometimes helps. The amount of followers, likes, comments, or attention that we may get from social media should not build up our self esteem. It’s so much more than that and I think many of us need to realize that. About a month ago I saw a post on Instagram by a woman who was explaining how she was feeling great about herself, until she got on social media and throughout the day those good feelings started to disappear. Her self esteem decreased because she started comparing herself to others. Her point was to not let that get you down. Anyways, there was a comment from someone who was confused as to why she was feeling down because she got 2000 likes and has 70,000 followers! Clearly, she misunderstood the point. Followers and likes do NOT give you self confidence. It makes me sad that some women think that is the case. If we are not careful, social media can destroy us! Taking breaks from social media usually helps me get out of that “negative funk.”

6. Do you ever find yourself judging or comparing yourself to others? (if so when)

Like I mentioned before, I compare myself to others all the time, I think it’s really hard not to. I’m trying really hard to break this habit!

7.  Do you feel like social media as a whole helps build you up and or do you feel like it makes it harder to be positive?

I think it can be both! I think it can obviously make it harder to be positive when you are constantly comparing yourself to others. However, I feel like there are so many great people out there on social media that are inspiring and make me want to be a better person in a good way. A way that doesn’t make me get down on myself.







8. What helps you not compare yourself or judge others, or what have you done or do now to help yourself not fall into the game of judging and comparing?

I just kind of have to realize that judging and comparing won’t do anyone any good. I know that I would hate for people to judge me, so I try my best not to judge them. There is always good in someone or something if we just look for it.

9.What helps you feel confident and beautiful?

Being myself. I’ve really learned to love myself for who I am over the past year and it has made the biggest difference in my life. If you aren’t yourself than who the heck is going to be you? Be you and learn to love yourself!  When I was growing up (in a house full of girls) I often criticized the way I looked as I was getting ready in the morning. My mom would always get so mad at me and not allow us girls to say anything negative about ourselves. That has really helped me focus on things I do like about myself rather than things I don’t like about myself.




10. What brings peace in your life?

Honestly, my faith gives me the biggest peace in my life. I am LDS. I know that I am a child of God. I have a Heavenly Father and Savior who loves me unconditionally. Having that knowledge gives me more peace than I can even explain.



11.What do you think women today can do to have more self love and positive vibes towards themselves and others?

I think that women need to stop comparing themselves to others. It’s hard and I know that I am guilty of this as well. I’m not sure who said this quote but my mom said it to me several times when I was in high school, “comparison is the thief of joy.” I think that women need to try to stop comparing themselves to others and focus on finding their gifts and talents. Everyone has something to offer, everyone has different talents and attributes, so let’s not waste our time comparing. Be yourself and love yourself! There is a book called “Way to Be” by Gordon B. Hinckley that I read when I was younger. I recently started reading through it again and there is a section that specifically talks about being positive. He says, “I am suggesting that we look for the great good among those with whom we associate and live, that we speak of one another’s virtues and positive qualities more than we speak of one another’s faults, that optimism replaces pessimism, and that our faith exceed our fears.” Although this is easier said than done, I love this so much because as I have made an effort to apply it to my life, I am a much happier person!